1.23.2006

"So, what do you do?"

I hate that question. To me, it implies "HOW do you DEFINE yourself with your CHOICE of PROFESSION?"
Maybe I just hate that question because I can't seem to DO ONE THING for a very long period of time without becoming intensely interested in something else.

Yesterday I went to the Austin Green Living Expo at the Convention Center with my father and my sister who are both actively interested in both preserving the environment as well as their wallets. Although there were a few exhibits (items for sale) that caught my attention: the Aromatherapy kit to mix in with the Toxin-free interior wall paint, and the amazing SHAMMY that soaks up water in carpet and lasts for years. Altogether, however, the expo left much to be desired as the realm of green building and sustainable housing in Austin is growing exponentially. Where were all the LOCAL vendors? I've seen enough of the ASSEENONTV items to last me awhile.

Anyways.
One lady asked us (dad, sis, me): "So, what do you do?" My dad answered for us:
"Well, we own a coffeehouse downtown."
Pointing to my sister, "She's a teacher."
And then to me, "She's a dreamer."
The response?
"Well, we all gotta have a dream."





Which immediately reminded me of the awful-yet-INCREDIBLE movie I actually watched TWICE all the way through; Hustle and Flow. Premise: A pimp in the throws of a mid-life crisis. And the tagline?
"Everybody gotta have a dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment